Tomato & Zucchini Crostata
Fresh, sweet seasonal tomatoes and zucchini topped with grated Locatelli cheese is a perfect favor combination.
- 1 Sweet Onion sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus some more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 Refrigerator Pie Crust Pillsbury
- 1 egg white beaten
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 zucchini large – thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup yellow and red cherry tomatoes – halved
- 3/4 cup Pecorino Romano - grated
- Salt and pepper
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
- Honey for drizzling on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Defrost pie dough and unroll onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sauté the sliced onions over medium-high heat in a saucepan with butter and olive oil… stirring occasionally, until they are soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the dough leaving about a 2 or 3 inch empty border for folding over. Then sprinkle ¼ cup of the cheese over the onions. Then layer the zucchini and tomatoes in an artful way. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the cherry tomatoes and drizzle EVOO and little honey. Then sprinkle the ½ cup of cheese and fresh thyme. Fold the edges of the dough over the tomatoes and zucchini and brush with egg whites. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown. Drizzle with a little more honey and garnish with fresh herbs.