Cacio e Pepe Shortbread Cookies
These cheesy, crumbly cookies are a real treat. They smell like pizza baking, but taste even better.
- 6 oz Locatelli shredded
- 4 oz unsalted butter room temp
- 3 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Place butter, shredded cheese, black pepper, salt and seasoning in a bowl. Blend with a hand-held mixer on medium until the butter is creamy and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the flour, and blend on low speed. Mixture will be somewhat crumbly. Bring the dough together with your hands to form a ball. Knead slightly.
- Form dough into an evenly shaped log, about 7 inches long. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Twist 2 ends tightly. Refrigerate until the dough has chilled - about 1 hour. You can also keep it in the freezer until ready to back. Just set out to soften before slicing, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the log from the fridge. Unwrap the dough. With serrated knife, gently cut cookies into ¼” thickness. If cookie crumbles, you can reform into a circle.
- Place the sliced cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking. Chill again for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for approximately, 15 minutes or until slightly golden on edges. Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
We added edible flowers for Mother’s Day. Brush tops with egg whites, place flowers, then back.