Spicy Rigatoni alla Vodka
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions chopped
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon or more of red pepper flakes, plus more for serving, if desired
- 2 - 28 ounce cans of San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup of vodka of choice
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of freshly chopped basil
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of half and half
- 5 tablespoons or more of freshly grated Locatelli Pecorino Romano cheese plus more for serving
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 pound of rigatoni pasta
- In a large sauté pan, sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat as you normally would until translucent, then add the red pepper and stir.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and vodka and continue cooking that for 5-7 minutes until reduced a bit, while stirring to prevent it from sticking.
- Add the paste, balsamic, salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low simmer and partially cover for about 20-25 minutes or until the volume is reduced by half, while giving it an occasional stir.
- Stir in the heavy cream, half and half and basil. Cook until it is warmed through, about 2-3 minutes
- Stir in the grated Locatelli Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Separately boil the pasta in salted water, al dente according to package instructions. This will be enough sauce for about 2+ pounds of pasta. Add more grated cheese for serving with additional basil, and crushed red pepper, if desired.