Arancini with peas
- 1-1/2 cups of Carolina long grain rice
- 3 cups of water
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 2 extra large eggs or 3 medium eggs - beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Locatelli Pecorino Romano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas rinsed
- About 1/2 cup whole mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup canola oil and extra for frying
- Bring water to boil in medium pot, add rice and bring heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and add butter, stirring rice until butter is fully melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl - mix breadcrumbs and remaining Locatelli Pecorino Romano and remaining parsley.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl. Add eggs and to the rice with 1/2 cup Locatelli Pecorino Romano, 1 teaspoon parsley and seasoning. Then stir in peas. Mixture should be sticky.
- Take a small spoonful of rice mixture in your hand and flatten like a pancake and place one cube of mozzarella in center, then add a little more rice over the cube and roll into a ball a little larger than a golfball. Repeat this process placing the rice balls on a cookie sheet with wax paper. Then carefully roll each ball into the breadcrumb mixture, lightly patting the crumbs into the ball and place back on wax paper. Then chill the rice balls for an hour.
- Add oil to a frypan and heat to medium hot. Add rice balls skillet (do not overcrowd) and carefully turn them with slotted spoon until they become golden brown of all sides. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Let cool slightly and enjoy with marinara sauce.