Pizzagaina or Pizza Rustica
- 4 eggs divided
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded or diced mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Locatelli Pecorino Romano divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cups diced ham
- 3/4 cup diced salami
- 1/2 cup sliced or diced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mortadella
- 1 refrigerated pie crust with 2 crusts or your favorite pie crust recipe
- In a large bowl, stir together 3 eggs, ricotta, mozzarella, 1/2 cup Locatelli Pecorino Romano cheese and pepper.
- Stir in the cubed and sliced meats. (You can use any mix of 3 cups of cured meats you like!)
- Place one pie crust in a 9” deep dish pie pan. Add filling and use a spatula to smooth. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Locatelli Pecorino Romano. Top with 2nd crust, crimp edges and vent the center of the pie several times. (Note: You can also use the 2nd crust to make a lattice top as we did here if you like!) Beat remaining 1 egg with 1 TB water and brush on top of pie crust.
- Chill Pizzagaina for 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degree and bake Pizzagaina for one hour, tenting with foil halfway through if your crust starts to get too dark.
- Let cool slightly before slicing and enjoying.